Adding GPS to the rowing experience

SailorDon

I bought a Garmin Montana 650 GPS to use primarily as a way to keep track of my rowing adventures.
And to avoid running into tree stumps by using the Proximity Alarm.

This video shows how I integrate the high tech GPS with the low tech rowing skiff.

Now that is cool! it would be a must have for me, due to my lousey sense of direction! Lake Livingston looks very big and very beautiful! I could get lost pretty easy on a trip that long. Did you have to protect the gps from getting wet?

Did you have to protect the gps from getting wet?
Most handheld GPS have some level of water resistance. In the case of my Garmin Montana 650, it is rated by Garmin as IXP7
("Withstands incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes.")

Lake Livingston is big, but when the weather turns bad, it is not always so beautiful.

Wow impressive waves my friend! I would love to have that view outside my livingroom window! Even the stormy view, but I imagine it gets a little scary.

That's pretty impressive. I dont take rowing seriously enough to go through that much trouble, but I certainly applaud you for it. You obviously take this very seriously and it's good to see. It's cool how technology helps you to enjoy a better rowing experience as well.

Adding a GPS to the rowing experience seems like it would add a lot, and is something I would like to try out one day. If I am ever lost or unsure where I am, the GPS could really help me find my bearings. It could also show me some new places to row, cool idea!

Most handheld GPS have some level of water resistance. In the case of my Garmin Montana 650, it is rated by Garmin as IXP7
("Withstands incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes.")

Lake Livingston is big, but when the weather turns bad, it is not always so beautiful.
That's the problem of living near the water, it's not so much the good weather, it's when the weather turns. Since there isn't anything that can break the wind or the waves they can really come close to your house and the experience can be frightening.