Are you ever too old to start rowing?

tajnz

Is there such a thing as being too old to learn how to row? Of course I only mean recreationally as professionals normally start learning and training at a young age.

I'm currently in my last year of university and considering joining a beginners rowing team. I know it may sound silly but I'm a little worried that I'm too old to start as most people seem to have rowed before in high school.

Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

I don't think you are too old to start rowing. Having said that, rowing is a demanding activity so I suggest you consult a trainer and start is slowly. There's nothing worse than doing too much too soon and feeling sore for days and even weeks.

I don't think you are too old to start rowing. Having said that, rowing is a demanding activity so I suggest you consult a trainer and start is slowly. There's nothing worse than doing too much too soon and feeling sore for days and even weeks.

Thanks for the response. I'll definitely consult a trainer. Thankfully I'm already fit as I love sports, so at least I have good cardio. I'm a competitive runner. However I appreciate the fact that rowing probably works muscle groups that I haven't trained and therefore I'll need to slowly work on these areas to avoid doing too much too soon.

Thanks for the response. I'll definitely consult a trainer. Thankfully I'm already fit as I love sports, so at least I have good cardio. I'm a competitive runner. However I appreciate the fact that rowing probably works muscle groups that I haven't trained and therefore I'll need to slowly work on these areas to avoid doing too much too soon.
I agree, you can never be too old, most people never have the chance to do such a thing like this. You might as well live life as best as you can!

I assumed you were 60 plus when I read this thread title. You are in your last year of University, you are still young. You are never too old, even if you are 65. My Dad started rowing when he was 57, his health and state of mind has improved immeasurably since then.

Recreationally? No way! Even people in their fifties or sixties can still get into rowing. You're still young, you've got plenty of time to learn.

According what I have read and know about it, there is no age upper age limit, anyone with a good fitness level can safely do this sport.

According what I have read and know about it, there is no age upper age limit, anyone with a good fitness level can safely do this sport.

Of course there isn't an age limit. A friend of my Dad started rowing 2 years ago and he is 65! his only regret is that he didn't start rowing earlier because he says he feels better than ever. Starting rowing (or any other form of exercise for that matter) at any time in your life is better than not starting at all.