Canoeing?

eweaver15

Does anyone here enjoy canoeing as a form of rowing? I know it is not as intense as competitive rowing, but I like it just as much. I've taken a few overnight trips with camping and hiking mixed in.

I think I am a big water sports fan. I do canoeing, but not competitively. However, I have camped out to canoe once, and we canoed over 10km for 2 days and the view was amazing. However, my arms get tired very quickly. ;)

Canoeing with friends is a great way to relax. It's great to just canoe then stop and enjoy the scenery. Ah, the great outdoors. :)

:) I do like both canoeing and rowing, but to me, rowing is the better sport... mainly because you don't get wet as much (haha... even though it IS a water sport), and you can go so much faster when you row than when you canoe!!!

Canoeing is fun but I prefer kayaking and rowing. Canoeing is the type of sport I would do with my girlfriend because it is relaxing and fairly easy. Kayaking in rapids is a lot more extreme but more my style.

I have also tried kayaking. :) When I was younger I went to those kayaking schools and I am not a 3 star silver, if that means anything at all. :) I haven't been kayaking in an actual river or through a jungle though. Just in those natural reserves where they have kayaking schools.

I've always wanted to try canoeing, but I haven't gotten a chance to yet. I'm interested in finding a good outdoorsy group in Austin...

Try searching the internet, you may be surprised by the places that are near you, though it is better if you have friends that can recommend you some good places. The place where I learnt canoeing was recommended to me by a friend, and we always canoe together in a group.

I haven't been canoeing since I was 12, but I really enjoyed it back then. It was nice and relaxing. Looks like I need to get back out there in a canoe this Spring. Will probably also try kayaking for the first time this year too. Always looked really fun to me. I no longer have an excuse to not do it since I have a river right behind where I live!

:) Did I say I canoed in the wilderness for 3 days on a bushwalking/canoeing expedition? My arms were dead by the time we got to the camp place at the end of each day!!! :)

But it's definitely fun though - my team threw packets of Maltesers to each other, and we had to canoe to the packet if our throw was off so it didn't go floating off down the river!!!

I've tried canoeing a couple of times in the past but I prefer rowing much more, I find having to work much harder to keep my balance on a canoe and I found it too slow when compared to rowing which for me just feels like crusing across the water. Canoeing feels like your constantly fighting to stop yourself from overturning everytime you make a manoever, but it mainly comes down to speed, canoeing is just too slow, for me personally anyway.

I've never done it but it seems like something to do with friends to past the time when your out of town on vacation. My parents have done it and they said they had a pretty good time but I think I'll just have to find out for myself, haha.

Personally I prefer kayaking, you can pick a decent one up for $500 and it offers a great opportunity to exercise as well as the option to take a fishing rod and tackle box with you to less fished areas away from pontoons where you can find so awesome spots.

I love canoeing. However, I have had some bad experiences with it. One of the times I went canoeing with my dad on a large lake , there were some guys on jet skis who thought it would be funny to be jerks and send some wakes our way.

I love canoeing. However, I have had some bad experiences with it. One of the times I went canoeing with my dad on a large lake , there were some guys on jet skis who thought it would be funny to be jerks and send some wakes our way.
I think this is relevant...