Canoeing?

I think this is relevant...
Hahaha thanks for the little laugh. I love The Simpsons. It was quite apparent that they were trying to mess with us too. Two of them rode up the side of the canoe on the right and left simultaneously and the third one rode about 25 feet in front of us. I seriously thought the canoe was going to tip and I didn't know how to swim.

Hahaha thanks for the little laugh. I love The Simpsons. It was quite apparent that they were trying to mess with us too. Two of them rode up the side of the canoe on the right and left simultaneously and the third one rode about 25 feet in front of us. I seriously thought the canoe was going to tip and I didn't know how to swim.
Just a sneaky tip, if you can't swim don't take a very sinkable craft into open water. Anyway don't let one bad experience ruin a fantastic hobby, lots of good times can be had on the water be it canoe, kayak or row boat.

Yes, I do quite a bit of canoeing myself. There's a huge lake about a block down the street from my house that I usually go to every weekend to canoe.

there were some guys on jet skis who thought it would be funny to be jerks and send some wakes our way.

Yea, this happened to me before as well, but I got ever it.

I've tried canoeing a couple of times in the past but I prefer rowing much more, I find having to work much harder to keep my balance on a canoe and I found it too slow when compared to rowing which for me just feels like crusing across the water. Canoeing feels like your constantly fighting to stop yourself from overturning everytime you make a manoever, but it mainly comes down to speed, canoeing is just too slow, for me personally anyway.

I agree... Canoeing for me is way too tiring compared to rowing for covering just a little distance. I bet I could've arrived at the camping place in one hour when I went bushwalking compared to the whole day for canoeing. I love the speed and the wind in face (or back) when I row, and canoeing is way too slow. On the flip side, I guess canoes are more sturdy as they are made of plastic while rowing boats are more expensive and fragile.

Yes, I love both canoeing and kayaking and thankfully for me there are many nice spots in New Zealand to do so. :D You're right kayaking or canoeing is a great camping activicty.

I've been kayaking in particular since primary school as if you could already swim you were put in kayaking and snorkelling classes. I remember the first thing we learnt after how to swim in a lifejacket ha ha was how to flip the kayak and give the appropriate safety signals by tapping on the side of the kayak. :cool: The first time it was a little scary but then after that it was just plain fun. I guess it is important to feel comfortable with the process incase your kayak flips on its own.

I prefer rowing to canoeing but there are times when I go for canoeing. Canoeing is a great way to enjoy pleasant weather and nature without focusing on the workout part. I go for canoeing with my family and friends, it is indeed a great stress buster.

I've always wanted to try canoeing, but I haven't gotten a chance to yet. I'm interested in finding a good outdoorsy group in Austin...

There are outdoor pursuits groups in Austin. You can use the internet to locate them. Most of these groups are very welcoming, they want new members. I was a little apprehensive prior to joining my local outdoor pursuits group but there was no reason to be, I'm glad I joined.

Canoeing is the only way I row. It's a lot of fun! I have to admit though, I didn't really know there were other ways.

I'm stil getting into water sports but there are plenty of places a few hours drive away where I could do whitewater rafting, which is what I am eventually aiming for.

I'm stil getting into water sports but there are plenty of places a few hours drive away where I could do whitewater rafting, which is what I am eventually aiming for.

You should definitely give it a go. I first tried whitewater rafting in New Zealand, it was one of the most exhilerating experiences I have ever had! I was a little scared at first but I think that is natural because it is fear of the unknown.

I was considering joining a whitewater rafting group at home but there are no groups near me.