Greatest ever rower?

shaun

Sir Steven Redgrave is the greatest rower in history, in my opinion. I might be slightly biased because I am English and I grew up watching him winning gold medals for Great Britain, but his achievements in the sport are remarkable - 5 golds and 5 consecutive Olympic games.

It would be interesting to see if you have a different opinion on who the greatest is...

As far as I know Sir Steven Redgrave won 6 medals in 5 Olympics. He broke the record of Jack Beresford who won 5 golds in 5 consecutive Olympics. However Jack could not compete in his 6th Olympics due to the outbreak of World War II, so who knows he could have won even more.

As far as I know Sir Steven Redgrave won 6 medals in 5 Olympics. He broke the record of Jack Beresford who won 5 golds in 5 consecutive Olympics. However Jack could not compete in his 6th Olympics due to the outbreak of World War II, so who knows he could have won even more.

Steve Redgrave also won his 5th gold after being diagnosed with diabetes. He was diagnosed in 1997 and won Gold in Sydney. He is an inspiration to diabetics throughout the world. I think the truly great sportsmen transcend their sport and Redgrave has certainly done that.