How important is height when it comes to rowing?

As a rower for the past 5 years, I can say with certainty that height is definitely a factor in rowing. This does not mean that because you are shorter that you are unable to compete with taller individuals, but it will be harder. If you're not into serious competition, it won't hinder your ability to row, it's just that at high levels of competition it shows. Why is this? Rowing is all about your stroke. People who are taller, or have longer limbs, are able to take longer strokes, which propel the shell further and faster. At 5'11 I wasn't the tallest rower, but with a wingspan of 76 inches, (I have really long arms) I was able to compete well.

As a rower for the past 5 years, I can say with certainty that height is definitely a factor in rowing. This does not mean that because you are shorter that you are unable to compete with taller individuals, but it will be harder. If you're not into serious competition, it won't hinder your ability to row, it's just that at high levels of competition it shows. Why is this? Rowing is all about your stroke. People who are taller, or have longer limbs, are able to take longer strokes, which propel the shell further and faster. At 5'11 I wasn't the tallest rower, but with a wingspan of 76 inches, (I have really long arms) I was able to compete well.

I agree, but longer limbs can also make it awkward. My brother is 6'4, he has long legs and finds rowing awkward because of the positioning of his legs etc.

I also noticed that professional rowers tend to be tall. I don't think it matters if you just join a social team though. I'm only 5"7, which is a bit of a worry but I'm a female and so perhaps my height won't be too much of a disadvantage. I agree with the previous poster I don’t think all taller rowers have an advantage as it depends on the proportions of their limbs ect.. ;)

Seems pretty understandable that taller rowers would have an advantage. I have always be interested in it from a distance. But, I am a pretty short and round person. I cannot imagine that my uh.. structure is made for rowing. :eek:

I also noticed that professional rowers tend to be tall. I don't think it matters if you just join a social team though. I'm only 5"7, which is a bit of a worry but I'm a female and so perhaps my height won't be too much of a disadvantage. I agree with the previous poster I don’t think all taller rowers have an advantage as it depends on the proportions of their limbs ect.. ;)

You are right, the best rowers in Olympic rowing are usually big and strong. Steve Redgrave is the perfect example, he is a rowing legend and he is 6'5. Obviously there's a difference between being tall/lanky and tall/strong. Being lanky is not good for rowing, in my opinion.

From what I have heard about it though some coaches think that height is important others say it's not that big a deal. The emphasis on height is because of limb length and maybe that giving an edge...?