Post-workout nutrition

shaun

I usually go for a big portion of meat or fish with some sweet potatoes and vegetables. The protein will kick start the recovery process and the sweet potatoes will replenish glycogen.

What do you eat after an intense rowing session? Does your appetite increase after rowing?

My appetite definitely increases after I row. Usually I will choose to drink a protein shake with some fruit. If Im going to have a meal I will choose fish, vegetables and a grain. It usually takes me a big meal to get full after an intense workout. Im usually burning about 700 calories during every rowing workout.

I tend to avoid fruit post-workout because fructose is processed in the liver, it will not replenish glycogen stores.

Food always seems to taste better after a strenuous workout. I'm sure the brain up-regulates reward systems because it wants nutrients...

I consume a lot of protein after my workouts, it helps in recovery. Usually my diet consists of meat, fish and other sources of proteins such as beans, cereals, tofu, milk, vegetables etc. I also increase my intake of carbohydrates since it provides energy for continuing with my day to day activities;I go with bananas, potatoes, brown rice for carbohydrates.

I consume a lot of protein after my workouts, it helps in recovery. Usually my diet consists of meat, fish and other sources of proteins such as beans, cereals, tofu, milk, vegetables etc. I also increase my intake of carbohydrates since it provides energy for continuing with my day to day activities;I go with bananas, potatoes, brown rice for carbohydrates.

I avoid legumes, cereals, milk and tofu. The legumes contain antinutrients like phytates, cereals are just horrible, most soy is genetically modified and contains phytoestrogens and pasteurised milk isn't too good either. I would buy whole raw milk but it's too expensive.