Recreational rowing for fun and exercise

SailorDon

I try to go rowing for at least one mile every morning, weather permitting.

Here is a video of one of my more memorable "cruises".

I'm jealous, I wish I had access to a lake in the morning. Is that your back yard? Exercise in the morning is the best way to start the day, it lifts your mood and raises energy for the day ahead. Thanks for sharing this video, I enjoyed watching.

I'm jealous, I wish I had access to a lake in the morning. Is that your back yard? Exercise in the morning is the best way to start the day, it lifts your mood and raises energy for the day ahead. Thanks for sharing this video, I enjoyed watching.

The lake is my "backyard". Most of the waterfront properties on Lake Livingston are weekend type with house trailers, bungalows, summer cottages, boathouses, etc. It is about 100 miles from Houston which is the nearest metropolis where one can find gainful employment. I am fortunate to be recently retired so there is no commute for me. I am one of the 10% of permanent residents on the lake. On the summer weekends, the population increases tenfold. The waterfront is buzzing with fishermen, waterskiiers, jet skis, and every other waterborne danger for rowers. I tend to not go rowing on the weekends. Kind of like trying to ride a bicycle down the Interstate highway. Of course the rowboat has right of way, but the problem here in Texas is you might end up being "dead right". That could ruin your whole day (not to mention your whole life).

The lake is my "backyard". Most of the waterfront properties on Lake Livingston are weekend type with house trailers, bungalows, summer cottages, boathouses, etc. It is about 100 miles from Houston which is the nearest metropolis where one can find gainful employment. I am fortunate to be recently retired so there is no commute for me. I am one of the 10% of permanent residents on the lake. On the summer weekends, the population increases tenfold. The waterfront is buzzing with fishermen, waterskiiers, jet skis, and every other waterborne danger for rowers. I tend to not go rowing on the weekends. Kind of like trying to ride a bicycle down the Interstate highway. Of course the rowboat has right of way, but the problem here in Texas is you might end up being "dead right". That could ruin your whole day (not to mention your whole life).

It looks like a beautiful area. Did you move there for your retirement? It must be peaceful and quiet through most of the year. Do you prefer it to be quiet or do you like it when the area is buzzing with activity? I would like a bit of both, I hope to be in a similar situation to you when I eventually retire. :)

It looks like a beautiful area. Did you move there for your retirement? It must be peaceful and quiet through most of the year. Do you prefer it to be quiet or do you like it when the area is buzzing with activity? I would like a bit of both, I hope to be in a similar situation to you when I eventually retire. :)
I moved to Livingston for retirement. It is peaceful and quiet except on summer weekends when the jet skis, water skiers, powerboaters, and 80 mph bass boats take over. I stay on land while the weekenders play and wait for Monday when all returns to peace and quiet.

On the weekends, sometimes I become part of the problem. Can't be rowing all the time.

IMG_4410_sm.jpg

you know shaun, I know what you mean. I have a lifelong love affair with water and somehow not living close to water always disappoints me.