Rowing elitism

shaun

I live in England and rowing here is considered an 'elitist' sport. It is popular among the middle class student types, most working class people have never rowed on water. Rowing club membership is too expensive for many.

We are hoping that the Olympic legacy will make rowing more accessible to the working class but I think this is wishful thinking.

Is rowing elitist in your country?

Yes it is definitely an elitist sport. The problem with rowing is that it needs expensive equipment and access to a water body. I am not surprised to hear that most people have never done rowing in England, the situation is the same in my country. I do hope that Olympics will make people more aware about the sport and inspire them to take it in large numbers.

Yes it is definitely an elitist sport. The problem with rowing is that it needs expensive equipment and access to a water body. I am not surprised to hear that most people have never done rowing in England, the situation is the same in my country. I do hope that Olympics will make people more aware about the sport and inspire them to take it in large numbers.

There needs to be new initiatives if they sporting authorities want the Olympic legacy for rowing to be a lasting one. Rowing clubs need to be made more affordable for children and teenagers from disadvantaged areas. Many of these kids live near the Thames, great water access but no money.