Rowing injuries

shaun

My worst injury during rowing was a hamstring pull, I felt the muscle snap and it took me 4 months to fully recover and start rowing with intensity.
What injuries have you suffered during rowing?

Hmm, I have not given it a thought that I could have injury in rowing. I'm more fascinated with the sports itself. So I guess I'll be more cautious when I try it next time, Thanks for the heads up, Shaun. And I hope you'll go back to rowing again one day.

Hmm, I have not given it a thought that I could have injury in rowing. I'm more fascinated with the sports itself. So I guess I'll be more cautious when I try it next time, Thanks for the heads up, Shaun. And I hope you'll go back to rowing again one day.

I am rowing now, I pulled my hamstring over a year ago, it was a bad tear but I have fully recovered now and haven't had any problems since, except a few minor wrist and neck strains. It's important to warm up thoroughly and stretch to prevent injuries from happening.

I am rowing now, I pulled my hamstring over a year ago, it was a bad tear but I have fully recovered now and haven't had any problems since, except a few minor wrist and neck strains. It's important to warm up thoroughly and stretch to prevent injuries from happening.
Good to know that you're now back in rowing! I agree, warming up is extremely important to prepare the muscles. On my first rowing day, I was asked to come in an hour early for a series of warming up exercises. I must admit, it helped me boost my energy and lose excess weight.

The morning I pulled m hamstring, I was late and in a rush, I didn't have time to warm up properly and I suffered the consequences 10 minutes later on the water.
An hour is a long warm up, I would be knackered before I've started if I warmed up for that length of time. My warm up and stretch last around 20 minutes.

I tore a hip-flexor as a result of a poor warm up and over training, it took a really long time to fully recover and stopped me training for 2 months.

I injured my lower back a few months ago because I didn't do my stretches properly after a long break, I chose to be lazy and paid the price for it.

I ended up taking 2 weeks off to let my back recover!

Lesson: Stretch properly before you start your workout!

I injured my lower back a few months ago because I didn't do my stretches properly after a long break, I chose to be lazy and paid the price for it.

I ended up taking 2 weeks off to let my back recover!

Lesson: Stretch properly before you start your workout!
A recurring theme it seems... Heed the message or pay the price!

I tore a hip-flexor as a result of a poor warm up and over training, it took a really long time to fully recover and stopped me training for 2 months.

That sounds like a nasty injury. I once strained by hip-flexor and it took over a month to recover from it fully. The hip-flexors can be a pain, if your hip-flexors are tight it will be a perpetual problem. I solved the problem with extensive stretching of the area and improving my flexibility.

Thankfully I haven't suffered anything serious but I did strain one of my hamstring muscles and it took me a good few weeks before I was at full capacity and working at my full intensity. Some of the injuries the posters in this thread got are seriously bad, I do hope I'm able to avoid them, one thing I think is essential before a rowing working is doing plenty of stretches to get your muscles warmed up and ready for the intense workout.

Sounds intense. What stretches are there to prevent injuries in rowing?

You should stretch all the major muscle groups in your body. The quadriceps, hamstrings, calves, chest, back and shoulders. I use basic stretches for these muscle groups.

When I first started, I missed up my wrist a little bit because I did something at that wrong angle. The injury didn't last long though, and I was back to rowing again a week later.

When I first started, I missed up my wrist a little bit because I did something at that wrong angle. The injury didn't last long though, and I was back to rowing again a week later.

Wrist sprains are quite common in rowing, a lot of the power is transmitted through the wrist and if your technique is not right, this will result in sprains.

Be careful. Always make sure that your position is safe. There isn't a lot of rowing injuries as the boat prevents you from using very very weird stroke techniques, but it is possible if your position isn't right.

Remember to keep your back straight - I can't stress this enough!!! :) Maybe you can search some videos on youtube so you understand what I'm saying.