Rowing injuries

Be careful. Always make sure that your position is safe. There isn't a lot of rowing injuries as the boat prevents you from using very very weird stroke techniques, but it is possible if your position isn't right.

Remember to keep your back straight - I can't stress this enough!!! :) Maybe you can search some videos on youtube so you understand what I'm saying.

Agree with you. Positioning and technique is very important when rowing. If your technique is flawed, your body will be exposed to injury. The stresses build up over weeks and it results in injury.

Agree with you. Positioning and technique is very important when rowing. If your technique is flawed, your body will be exposed to injury. The stresses build up over weeks and it results in injury.

I think this applies to all sports - whether it is rowing, baseball, swimming or acrobatics. While sport is good just bear in mind that excessive sport can be harmful too.

I think this applies to all sports - whether it is rowing, baseball, swimming or acrobatics. While sport is good just bear in mind that excessive sport can be harmful too.

Indeed. People can become obsessed and exercise with intensity every day, this can cause more damage than good. Excessive exercise will raise cortisol, oxidative damage, inflammation, and depress the immune system.

I've never personally been injured but one of my friends who sometimes goes canoeing with me broke her wrist when the oar hit a large rock while she was rowing in rapids (And therefore going fast).

I've never personally been injured but one of my friends who sometimes goes canoeing with me broke her wrist when the oar hit a large rock while she was rowing in rapids (And therefore going fast).

A broken wrist, OUCH! Rapids can be dangerous, your body can end up in some very awkward positions and under an immense amount of strain. My brother suffered a herniated disc canoeing water rapids in New Zealand.

Fortunately I have never suffered an injury while training or actual rowing. The key to prevent an injury is not to skip warmup and not to overexert yourself especially when you are a beginner. A lot of beginners don't realize but rowing is a serious physical activity and unless your body is ready for it, you shouldn't even try to do something intense.

Fortunately I have never suffered an injury while training or actual rowing. The key to prevent an injury is not to skip warmup and not to overexert yourself especially when you are a beginner. A lot of beginners don't realize but rowing is a serious physical activity and unless your body is ready for it, you shouldn't even try to do something intense.

It is especially important for beginners because their bodies will not be adapted to the exercise. Beginners should first practice proper form and they can then gradually increase the intensity of the exercise once their form is solid.

6 months ago I had been feeling pain in my shoulder (later turned out to be tendonitis and bursitis), during a 6km test I slipped my shoulder blade out of place and tore a tendon, spent 4 months out of the boat and I'm still not up to full strength. Unfortunately because I didn't stop when I first felt pain during the 6km test ( I finished with a PB but spent the next 20 mins lying on the floor crying then was unable to move my arm for 3 days) the shoulder blade slipped into a position where it has not stayed and I will never be able to lift my arm to vertical.

Well I cannot say that I have as much experience rowing in water as some people here, or as much as I would like to, but I am doomed geographically for those purposes. But, I think that the machine is best workout I can get in the gym so that is my go to, and I knew going in that it was risky with my back issues, and sure enough, about the fifth or sixth time I used I overdid it and strained my lower back, and I was out for a long time, at least on that machine. I am back now though, so we're good now.