Rowing = muscles?

footiefan

I have a question,

What are the main benefits of rowing? Is it improving your cardio capacity? Or adding muscle mass? Or does it do both? Just wondering how to include it in my fitness regime.

It does both, it adds lean muscle mass and is great for your cardiovascular health too!

One of the most versatile and challenging sports in my opinion!

:)

aerobic capacity and muscular endurance are the biggest components of fitness that will see improvement.

you may put on some size but it will be limited compared to resistance training.

Rowing is incredibly good for your entire body as it's a great cardio workout as well as an excellent workout for your muscles. It also not only involves just your arms but also your legs as well and there aren't too many cardio workouts out there that incorporate both like rowing does as well as giving you a muscle workout, it's literally one of the best workouts you can give yourself.

Ok so if I encorporate a rowing session into my weights sessions - will it work against my aim to build muscle mass?

Rowing is incredibly good for your entire body as it's a great cardio workout as well as an excellent workout for your muscles. It also not only involves just your arms but also your legs as well and there aren't too many cardio workouts out there that incorporate both like rowing does as well as giving you a muscle workout, it's literally one of the best workouts you can give yourself.

I agree. When I did it the first time with friends afterwards I was sore all over and slept well that night. When I woke the next day my muscles were even more sore than the previous day. Rowing really is one of the better sports because you get a good workout and you get to navigate across water, which alone is fun to me.

Ok so if I encorporate a rowing session into my weights sessions - will it work against my aim to build muscle mass?
It will only have an adverse affect if the ergo will put you into a caloric deficit and your body starts to burn muscle for energy. If you have have on you fat will burn first and all you will be doing is slimming, but if you are lean then you will need to ensure you are consuming some serious calories prior to training.

It will only have an adverse affect if the ergo will put you into a caloric deficit and your body starts to burn muscle for energy. If you have have on you fat will burn first and all you will be doing is slimming, but if you are lean then you will need to ensure you are consuming some serious calories prior to training.
Oh I have a bit of fat to burn :) Mainly around my belly lol Thats good to know that I wont be doing myself out of anything by rowing and lifting weights! Thanks

I'd have to say the main benefits are you stay healthy and you get into shape. If you do it for a good while, it'll buff you up pretty big.

Yeah it is def good for fat burn and then eventual muscle mass growth if you keep at it. It can very strenious but in a very peaceful way. Combine that with hiking up mountains and some basic crunches with stretching. Do all that and you'll be in great shape, and best of all I find this kind of work out so much more rewarding since your out in fresh air and under the sun.

Rowing is not only good for fat burn, like inTHEsane said, but it is a whole body work out (especially the legs), where you get to to work on your abs and get some six pack!!! :)

Nah.... I don't do rowing for this though.

I do it for my team. To me, my team is my sole reason of rowing. It's the experience, rowing on water with beautiful scenery, and as a group, where you work to boat at the same rhythm... you get very good friends in the process, and you know that you can depend on them. Because they are willing to wake up at 4am for the rest of the group to row. :)

Ive been rowing every night for a couple of weeks now and do feel better for it - however my rowing machine is crap so Im looking for a different one. I feel broader in my shoulders already - although my legs feel a little weaker - is that a sign im doing too much?

You may be over training - this may happen if you are training every day. If your exercise is rigorous, try to have a rest period so that you have a break day between your training sessions. :)

In reality your legs should feel stronger, since rowing mostly train the legs. It is either you are not rowing properly (unlikely because either way your legs would still dominate), or that you are over trained. :P

You may be over training - this may happen if you are training every day. If your exercise is rigorous, try to have a rest period so that you have a break day between your training sessions. :)

In reality your legs should feel stronger, since rowing mostly train the legs. It is either you are not rowing properly (unlikely because either way your legs would still dominate), or that you are over trained. :p

My legs still do feel quite weak - maybe Im over training and not giving enough rest period? Will proabably cut down to row every other night for a while and see how I get on. Thanks for the advice guys! :)