What can I do to prepare for crew in my future?

Jacksyn

Hello! I'm going to be starting high school soon. I really want to do crew in college and our high school doesn't have a crew program. I don't play any sports, so I was wondering what kind of sports can I do prepare for crew? My sister does crew so I know all the terms and I erg fairly regularly. I'm not that athletic but I'm a hard worker.

I think you should familiarize yourself with the rowing machine. You can develop your fitness on the rowing machine and you can also practise proper rowing form, preparing you for the real thing. Any form of exercise is better than no exercise if you don't have access to a rowing machine - running, cycling, swimming etc

I agree with Shaun, start some doing something as soon as you can. That way your body would be able to handle the serious training that is about to come. If you go to gym then do some power cleans, back extensions, squats and bench rows as these are considered great exercises to train for rowing.

I agree with Shaun, start some doing something as soon as you can. That way your body would be able to handle the serious training that is about to come. If you go to gym then do some power cleans, back extensions, squats and bench rows as these are considered great exercises to train for rowing.

The exercises you mentioned will build muscle, increase strength and power. Increasing the amount of power you can generate per stroke will obviously enhance your rowing potential. However, I do think this type of training should be a supplement to your training rather, you don't want to be training like a powerlifter or bodybuilder.