Why do you row?

I started rowing because I like interacting with the water and I enjoy the exercise. Rowing is now part of my lifestyle and many of my friends are from rowing, I row for social activity and the exercise.

Why do you row? Do you row for the competition or just for fun?
I like the fitness and toning aspects of it for my upper body as well as the cardio. Then I do like to compete in some challenges with it. 5K's are good.

I started rowing because I like interacting with the water and I enjoy the exercise. Rowing is now part of my lifestyle and many of my friends are from rowing, I row for social activity and the exercise.

Rowing is a full-body exercise, that's why I like it. It also allows you to do some sightseeing at the same time. It's a very recreational hobby. I feel more in tune with nature.

Yeh
I love to be out on the water. It is good exercise and a good opportunity to "get away from it all". (Get away from all the problems on land.)

There is no competition in my rowing agenda. It would be nice to have rowing companions, but this is Texas, the land of 80 mph bass boats and high speed PWC's. Rowboats are unheard of here on Lake Livingston. :(
Rowing activity can be found 150 miles to the south where there is actually a rowing club on Clear Lake in Kemah, TX. But that's a long way for me to go for a row. (Think of the "carbon footprint".)

I go out for a row on the lake about 4 times per week.

Here is a link to a video of my recent rowing experience.

The following video is from one of my favorite rowing adventures.

Bring your rowboat and let's go for a row! :)

Yeah, rowing is like a dream come true of being in fantasy land. I really think that's the best part of it. You get to appreciate Mother Nature so much, while you exercise. It's not very common though. Not too many people are hooked up to this.

I like the fitness and toning aspects of it for my upper body as well as the cardio. Then I do like to compete in some challenges with it. 5K's are good.

I literally grew muscles on my shoulders after only a month of rowing. It's really great! I never thought I would see muscles on my shoulders ever.

I row a kayak, so I hope I qualify for this forum:) I love it, that's for sure:) I started out strictly out of "adventure". I'd never in my life taken anything out on the water by myself. I was 58 or 59 when I got the kayak, and I am 61 now. I also wanted to exercise my upper-body and do NOT like gyms, not crazy about bodyweight exercises either.

I like "playing" just like when I was a kid! I got all the exercise I needed back then, running, jumping, climbing trees. My folks wanted us outside, and I am glad they did. So now, I try to do things I enjoy to get my work-outs. In the Winter it is hardest. I can't afford a lot, like skiing the mountains often, or ice-skating. So I just try to do some body-weight stuff (pushups etc) and walking at least.

I love the kayaking because of the places I get to explore by boat, that I wouldn't see otherwise. So it's way more fun then exercise, or maybe just an balanced amount of both:)

I row a kayak, so I hope I qualify for this forum:) I love it, that's for sure:)
The neat thing about kayaking is that you get to see where you are going.
I find that I can row longer and farther with oars than with paddles and kayaks (or canoes).
So I will keep rowing, where I am looking at where I have been.
And it is easier for me to keep from tipping over in a rowboat.:cool:

The neat thing about kayaking is that you get to see where you are going.
I find that I can row longer and farther with oars than with paddles and kayaks (or canoes).
So I will keep rowing, where I am looking at where I have been.
And it is easier for me to keep from tipping over in a rowboat.:cool:
I didn't think about that Don, but yes, I do get to see where I'm going. So how do you guys handle "not seeing" where you are going;) denise

So how do you guys handle "not seeing" where you are going;) denise
By twisting around, sort of like at 1:20 in the video below, an oarsman can get enough of a view in the direction of motion to avoid most obstacles one might encounter while rowing.
Some oarsmen attach mirrors to see what is ahead.

By twisting around, sort of like at 1:20 in the video below, an oarsman can get enough of a view in the direction of motion to avoid most obstacles one might encounter while rowing.
Some oarsmen attach mirrors to see what is ahead.

Thank you Don, getting a late start this a.m. I haven't watched the video, yet, but I will. That makes sense, that you can glance, use your peripherals etc;) That's the kind of rowing I'd really, love to do. Maybe one day! Denise

PS You have such a beautiful place to row! Lake Livingston? I will have to Google that! Your vid made me want to get "out there" asap;)

I haven't began my rowing adventures yet, but I have kayaked several times in the past and thoroughly enjoyed that. On our honeymoon, my husband and I kayaked from Georgia to Tennessee! It was a lot of fun and at one point, he got stuck on a rock! I scooted up onto a nearby rock to anchor myself and wait for him. It was hilarious to watch him as he first stepped out of the kayak, then turned it over at which time, it began to fill with water! We weren't in any danger of any kind, the water wasn't moving very fast. He still has a love for the water, so I bet I can get him interested in rowing with me!

I love the freedom it provides me. I can just let everything go in my life for those moments out on the water. Everything is so peaceful out there and it is such a stress reliever. Oh and the exercise that it provides is nice as well.

I like rowing for the exercise and also how I get to have a look at nature as well and to have the breeze come past you and also good to have some food and eat it when taking rest and a cold drink as well soft drink or water. It can get you to enjoy the outdoors and also appreciate it as well and nice to do as well in the process. I have enjoyed, doing this and getting better each time and may go out with my friends sometime and enjoy it with them.

It is a mix of a getting a great workout and the joy for me. Of course, it is pretty rare these days that I get to get out on the water, which is unfortunate, but that might change soon (I might be moving). That said, though, I am glad to have found the rowing machine at the gym, because it really is one of the better upper body workouts that you can get. Thanks for sharing.

It's a great way to get away from it all. If you are by yourself it really helps you clear your mind. The good thing is that you can also row with friends and that makes it a totally different experience.