How did you start rowing?

Lucy001

How did you get into rowing? I have yet to get into because I have never been introduced to it or around it. So, how did everyone else get involved in it? Just curious.

I got into rowing because I walked around a lake where there was a rowing club. The rowers were out there rain or shine and I was impressed.

As a child I often was at a large lake during Summer, I had a small rubber dinghy (boy was I pride!) - somehow this joy kept in memory and after more than 30 years I started rowing :)

I got into rowing from high school. I am a competitive rower and I still row today, though not as much. Most people get put off by rowing because it is kinda expensive, but out school hold fund raises just for rowers so we are lucky!!! Rowing doesn't cost more than joining basketball and soccer at our school.

:) It might feel refreshing in the gym, but I have to say that actual rowing is so much more better. You cannot imagine how good the scene is, and you cannot imagine how it will change your life until you tried it. As far as I know, starting rowing is the best experience in my life. :) Even though I do train on ergs and try to beat my personal best, I think that actually rowing on water is so, so, so much better.

At school we went on a trip to an outdoor adventure club. Rowing was one of the activities at the club and it looked fun so I tried it and I've been hooked ever since.

That is great to hear!!! Are you a regular like me? I was reluctant to join at first because of the early hours and the time it takes to train, but it has been the best decision I have ever made in my life. Though my mum's not too keen on it because she has to wake up with me a drive me to the river. ;)

I row twice per week, I would like to row more often but work commitments etc prevent me from doing so. I love waking up early to start the day off with a rowing session, it is the best way to start the day, the exercise awakens you and gets the endorphins rushing.

I got into rowing because a friend asked me to join their club once and I was so delighted in the experience, I want to try it again! I never thought I'd love this kind of sports but I so appreciate the discipline and exercise that you'll acquire in the training.

I row twice per week, I would like to row more often but work commitments etc prevent me from doing so. I love waking up early to start the day off with a rowing session, it is the best way to start the day, the exercise awakens you and gets the endorphins rushing.

Believe it or not, I think that walking up in the early morning is one of the best things of rowing. (Or maybe I'm being a bit biased here, I am a true rowing fanatic. :p) But honestly, I have a big book of quotes on rowing that my friend gave me as a present and one of them is something along the lines of:

People who row do more before 8am than anyone else who wake early in the morning.

And I was like, that is so true.... probably more than anyone else after one average day. :)

I got into rowing because a friend asked me to join their club once and I was so delighted in the experience, I want to try it again! I never thought I'd love this kind of sports but I so appreciate the discipline and exercise that you'll acquire in the training.

I'm so glad you joined this forum!!! Do you still row, and do you row in the morning? I was at first rather reluctant to join because of the early hours, but after one session (we didn't even go on water) I was interested, and I immersed myself in the terminology like feather, stroke, etc. And then by the second session I was really enjoying it and to this day I haven't looked back.

Believe it or not, I think that walking up in the early morning is one of the best things of rowing. (Or maybe I'm being a bit biased here, I am a true rowing fanatic. :p) But honestly, I have a big book of quotes on rowing that my friend gave me as a present and one of them is something along the lines of:

People who row do more before 8am than anyone else who wake early in the morning.

And I was like, that is so true.... probably more than anyone else after one average day. :)

I'm so glad you joined this forum!!! Do you still row, and do you row in the morning? I was at first rather reluctant to join because of the early hours, but after one session (we didn't even go on water) I was interested, and I immersed myself in the terminology like feather, stroke, etc. And then by the second session I was really enjoying it and to this day I haven't looked back.
Oh, thanks for the warm welcome! I have yet to schedule my next rowing. Yes, we did that in the morning. The club does it in the morning and in the afternoon. I'm looking forward to my next experience!

Really, in the afternoon? I went to rowing camp once (a full on bootcamp where you row from morning to night where you get taped and then the coaches review everyone's technique.... yes, it was hardcore), and I must say that no matter how much sunscreen you put on you still get burnt!!!

I think that's why we train in the mornings (when it's still cool and nice - and maybe sometimes freezing in winter, but its worth it), instead of the afternoons. :) So... doesn't it get really hot in the afternoons? I'm really glad you like rowing.... I am looking forward to your next experience as much as you are!!!

I started rowing when my cousins rowing team at University were short a couple of people for their weekend sessions.

They asked if I would like to give it a go and I have fallen in love with the sport ever since!

I hope to become competitive this year if I can get myself into the right shape and keep working on my form.

:)