Performance Enhancing drugs.

GSRD3301

What are your opinions of anabolic steroids and diuretics?

I have been offered these at college but I am unsure if they are frowned up in the rowing fraternity.

I think steroids don't have a place in any sport, other than maybe bodybuilding where it is practically accepted. I believe it would be much more rewarding achieving your goals naturally.

It depend's why you are taking then, If you are taking them to help with the sport then you are a bad sportsman but if you take them to put on size/shred up just in general then you can go for your life. If you are under 25 you will not likely need steroids anyway as your natural testosterone levels should be sufficient as is.

Personally I don't think I will ever take drugs for athletic or body-building purposes but my predilections are not yours, so if you choose to do them then go ahead.

If your taking them to get an advantage in competitive rowing then it would be frowned upon if anyone found out about it. However if your going to take them just for yourself and reach peak performance then there shouldn't be a problem. At the end of the day its up to you but personally I would stay away from steroids period, they're not good for your health long term and they are not exactly as welcome to steroid use in competitive rowing compared to say bodybuilding for example.

Anabolic steroids are frowned upon in pretty much every sport really. I guess they sort of consider it as some kind of cheating. You're better off leaving that stuff alone, and just building body mass the natural way. It's pretty bad for you in the long run.

I don't use steroids, and I wouldn't recommend anyone to. In our competitions, anyone caught using steroids will be banned from the competition and will be investigated by police, but it has never happened before.

The only type of "steroids" I use are chocolate and lots of sugar before my races. :) It keeps me pumped and I use the sugar rush to add that extra something in my races. :)

Obviously there is always a risk with this sort of thing. I would stay away from them mate - knowing youve built yourself naturally must feel so much better!

Yeah - I don't really understand the incentive for using drugs. It would feel like cheating to me (well, it is) and even if I win I wouldn't be as happy as if I did it properly. My conscience would never allow it and also... who knows what dodgy side effects these things might have?

I don't think it's good to combine it with any other sports. It's always better to have a healthy lifestyle and a healthy diet to complement rowing. Steroids are a no-no for me.

I don't think it's good to combine it with any other sports. It's always better to have a healthy lifestyle and a healthy diet to complement rowing. Steroids are a no-no for me.

I agree. Plus, I think it would mess up your hormones in the long term, and you might end up looking more alien than an alpha male to others!!! But I think that once people take it they get addicted so even if they start to look unnatural they wouldn't notice - same with people that has anorexia.

I am against the use of steroids. Steroids will cause health problems, although there is limited research on the effects of steroid use long term, many steroid users suffer from heart problems and have heart attacks later in life.

Anything through which you get an unnatural edge over others or does something unnatural to your body is probably not a good idea. You were totally wise to not have had anything to do with them.

Steroids are frowned upon in all sports, although I am sure Performance Enhancing Drugs are widely used in sports like boxing and cycling, I don't think it is a big problem in rowing. Why cheat yourself and risk your health? There is no need.