Rowing as a Spectator Sport

SWOWannabe

Hello everyone!

While I'm certainly a big one for fitness, I've never quite been able to get into rowing for exercise. Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but I get more enjoyment and exercise out of running and swimming.

I do, however, really enjoy rowing as a spectator sport. The Olympics are my favorite, but the World Cup is also a great venue.

My favorite team is the good old United States followed closely by the Australlians and New Zealand teams. Lassi Karonen is one of my hero's, and he's from Norway.

Is anyone else into world-class rowing as a spectator? Or are there any competitors here? What are other people's thoughts in general to spectating rowing?

Hello everyone!

While I'm certainly a big one for fitness, I've never quite been able to get into rowing for exercise. Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but I get more enjoyment and exercise out of running and swimming.

I do, however, really enjoy rowing as a spectator sport. The Olympics are my favorite, but the World Cup is also a great venue.

My favorite team is the good old United States followed closely by the Australlians and New Zealand teams. Lassi Karonen is one of my hero's, and he's from Norway.

Is anyone else into world-class rowing as a spectator? Or are there any competitors here? What are other people's thoughts in general to spectating rowing?
I love to row and to watch rowing. It's a strange spectator sport because the race usually starts far away from the viewing stands. But it's worth it to see the boats race within inches of each other to the finish line.

I used to watch rowing competition before I tried it for myself. Even if the boats start from a distance, I like the synchronization in the moves and the teamwork that it exhibits :)

Personally I'm not a huge fan of watching sports as a spectator, I just dislike watching something when I could be doing it myself. It's the same with other sports, football, basketball all sports I'd much rather play myself than watch others. Although I do watch rowing at the Olympics as it's a big competition to be won.

I can't lie, when I saw the rowing competition in the Olympics it amazed me just by the pure speed that these atheletes were moving compared to when I was rowing with my buddies. Its really fun to see a team make a run for the win late in the race and pass the leader when they thought they had the race in the bag. Oh how I love sports. :D

Rowing is definitely fun to watch. It's what has convinced me to get started. And it was just amateur rowing that I was watching. Looks like a very great sport to participate in.

I have watched amateur level rowing before when friends have been competing and although it isn't my favourite spectator sport it can certainly be entertaining.

I don't really find pleasure in watching boats go across water. It seems to me like it's one of those sports where you should just get out and do it yourself. It is just too uniform to have any type of excitement for me.

Watching rowing is very exciting to me. The precision, skill and strength needed just amazes me. Also, the guys are in great shape which is a plus.

nothing like going down to the lake with a 6 pack of beer on a beautiful afternoon for some rowing action!

one of lifes simple pleasures!

Rowing is definitely fun to watch. It's what has convinced me to get started. And it was just amateur rowing that I was watching. Looks like a very great sport to participate in.
Same thing that happened to me! I watched it then I was invited to join my friend's club and off I started rowing :) It is indeed fun to watch them and eventually do it yourself :)

I cant wait for the Olympics rowing. Mainly because this is something TeamGB are pretty good at. I always watch it hoping for gold :)

Hello everyone!
I do, however, really enjoy rowing as a spectator sport.
What are other people's thoughts in general to spectating rowing?

Rowing as a spectator sport can be interpreted two ways. One is to watch rowing competition. The other is to go out and row (non-competitively) and be a spectator to your surroundings.
I used to spend 15 minutes per day on the rowing machine, and I dreaded every minute of it. Just get it over with. Now I go out and row for 40 minutes or more and still want to keep going!

Here is a YouTube posting of my rowing exercise on Wednesday, with occassional Garmin GPS plots to show my progress.

I'm also a fan of rowing as a spectator sport although I'm considering joining a novice team at my university.

One of the reasons I probably enjoy watching rowing is that the races can be so close. Often boats are neck and neck for much of the race and athletes are required to push their bodies to the limit to win. I feel tired just watching them after they've completed a race. My country, New Zealand is also quite strong with a number of athletes having done our country proud at the Olympics.

I can't wait till the 2012 Olympics and have my fingers crossed that New Zealand may win a medal.:)